Parfianka and Austin rooted cuttings

Buy, sell, trade, and request pomegranate plants, cuttings, rootstock, or seeds here.
pombazaar
Administrator

Parfianka and Austin rooted cuttings

Post by pombazaar »

I started rooting some Parfianka and Austin cuttings about a month ago and I can see some tiny roots that are starting to form. Austin is a cultivar that originated in Syria and was brought to the US by a Syrian immigrant in Austin, TX. Once roots are established I'm going to put them in dirt and can have them ready for shipping. Shoot me a PM if you think you'd be interested in any.
greenfig

Re: Parfianka and Austin rooted cuttings

Post by greenfig »

pombazaar wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm I started rooting some Parfianka and Austin cuttings about a month ago and I can see some tiny roots that are starting to form. Austin is a cultivar that originated in Syria and was brought to the US by a Syrian immigrant in Austin, TX. Once roots are established I'm going to put them in dirt and can have them ready for shipping. Shoot me a PM if you think you'd be interested in any.
Could you describe the Austin’s fruit, please?
Sweetness, hard seedness, early/late, etc
USDA z 10a, SoCal, near Los Angeles
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

I haven't gotten any fruit from mine yet. The fruit is described as large usually weighing 1 pound or more. The taste is sweet with a hint of tart and is considered more superior than other sweet cultivars. It's said to ripen in late October (I'm guessing in Austin) and has some cold hardiness.
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

pombazaar wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:13 pm I haven't gotten any fruit from mine yet. The fruit is described as large usually weighing 1 pound or more. The taste is sweet with a hint of tart and is considered more superior than other sweet cultivars. It's said to ripen in late October (I'm guessing in Austin) and has some cold hardiness.
I see , thanks.
It’s like with figs, you need to grow yourself at your place to find out the qualities. For example, the description of Desertnyi is very wrong compared to my tree, and I am sure mine is Desertnyi.
USDA z 10a, SoCal, near Los Angeles
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

Update 1/3/20:

I've been testing out my own method of rooting and have had 100% success indoors. Now I have a bunch of Parfianka and Austin cuttings leafing out. Anyone want to trade anything?
Blake

Post by Blake »

I did some pruning over the weekend and decided to start a handful of Salavatski and Sirenevyi cuttings. If you're interested in either of those (and don't mind being a little patient) I'll trade you one for an Austin.
JoshHolbrook

Post by JoshHolbrook »

pombazaar wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:24 pm Update 1/3/20:

I've been testing out my own method of rooting and have had 100% success indoors. Now I have a bunch of Parfianka and Austin cuttings leafing out. Anyone want to trade anything?

I've got those Uzbek cuttings coming to you soon, I'd be interested in an Austin if you have some to spare. Any idea of the region of Syria?

Edit: Devedisi, not Uzbek
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

Thanks man! I do. I'll send you a PM and get some out to you this week. As for the region of Syria, I haven't been able to find any information on where it originated from.
alanmercieca

Post by alanmercieca »

JoshHolbrook wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:08 am
I'd be interested in an Austin if you have some to spare. Any idea of the region of Syria?
The following was written by the person who got the original cuttings from the Syrian Immigrant, so it's the most complete information on the history of the variety https://www.lecooke.com/le-cooke-blog/a ... story.html
JoshHolbrook

Post by JoshHolbrook »

Great, thanks Alan.