pomegranate cuttings available this winter

Buy, sell, trade, and request pomegranate plants, cuttings, rootstock, or seeds here.
greenfig

Re: pomegranate cuttings available this winter

Post by greenfig »

I think something like this would work:
https://www.crapemyrtle.com/store/p30/T ... ee%29.html

Advertised to be hardy to Zone 6.

We should choose and upright small tree, they will have a tendency for a thicker trunk.
USDA z 10a, SoCal, near Los Angeles
bopcrane

Post by bopcrane »

greenfig wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:41 pm If you have time and space and patience, we can try to join the forces. I can look for hardy Myrtle online, order a few and graft with my poms, and ship to you by the summer end? It sounds like a lot of shipping needs to be done but I really would like to see if the experiment will have any success at all.
The Myrtles would need to be planted in ground in a semi protected areas I think .
I believe I have a spot available that would work well for this and would be happy to trial it out! I will double check that I have a good spot for it (sun exposure, wind, etc -) and PM you later today or tomorrow and we can work out the details; I am eager to see if this might impart some additional hardiness to the scion or perhaps it might leaf out a bit later?
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

bopcrane wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:59 pm
greenfig wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:41 pm If you have time and space and patience, we can try to join the forces. I can look for hardy Myrtle online, order a few and graft with my poms, and ship to you by the summer end? It sounds like a lot of shipping needs to be done but I really would like to see if the experiment will have any success at all.
The Myrtles would need to be planted in ground in a semi protected areas I think .
I believe I have a spot available that would work well for this and would be happy to trial it out! I will double check that I have a good spot for it (sun exposure, wind, etc -) and PM you later today or tomorrow and we can work out the details; I am eager to see if this might impart some additional hardiness to the scion or perhaps it might leaf out a bit later?
Awesome!! If you have a spot or 3 on the South side of a structure, that would work.
I would graft 4-6 trees with 2 types of cuttings if possible, one soft seeded like a Desertnyi and one with a more cold hardy like Salavatski. At least one of those should survive (I hope!).
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

Forgot to mentioned, you can plant up to 3 Myrtle trees in the same hole. Not ideal for a long run, but will save on space to find out if this works at all.
bopcrane

Post by bopcrane »

Great!! I might end up having a few planting spots - I'm debating removing an Afganski planted on the S side of the house in order to make room for this, the afganski got winter killed to ground level and resprouted back this year, it's still very small and I have a few extra of this variety in pots as backups

The other planting site I might have is at the top of a hill with a western sun exposure, should be drier than most other sites and plenty sunny, area is covered with landscape fabric which may artificially raise the temp a smidgen as well

I'll scope out some other potential sites as well later today or tomorrow and let you know what I've still got open so I can get your input
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

Ok, sounds we may have some fun next year :)
I ok purchasing 12 trees or so if necessary, they offer some discount on the quantity too
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

This is for reference, a list of disease resistant varieties that we should use:
http://www.whatgrowsthere.com/grow/2014 ... cultivars/

Complete list:
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/dat ... eight.html
bopcrane

Post by bopcrane »

OK, checked on the planting spots, I have two spots open with good sun exposure we could use to test them. Do you think it'd be worth trying multiple per hole or just two separate ones? I'll do some reading up on crepe myrtle
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

bopcrane wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 pm OK, checked on the planting spots, I have two spots open with good sun exposure we could use to test them. Do you think it'd be worth trying multiple per hole or just two separate ones? I'll do some reading up on crepe myrtle
I think we need several trees, possibly use different varieties for rootstocks grafted with different pomegranate varieties. I emailed the crapemyrtle website asking about the tree sizes they ship, 2-4 ft tall. To maximize the space use, we could do 3 trees in a hole. What do you think?
JoshHolbrook

Post by JoshHolbrook »

I'd be willing to take part - I could definitely pay for sipping, and I want to know about the hardiness of CM grafts too. Space isn't an issue for me - I've got 9 acres.