pomegranate cuttings available this winter

Buy, sell, trade, and request pomegranate plants, cuttings, rootstock, or seeds here.
bopcrane

pomegranate cuttings available this winter

Post by bopcrane »

Hi everyone! I'll have scionwood for rooting and grafting available this season from several cultivars; if you would like to arrange a future trade (USA only, sorry), please reach out to me and I'm sure we can work something out. My trees are not yet dormant but that time is approaching - looking to arrange the trade for winter when they are surely dormant

The varieties I will have scion for:

Fleishman (listed as 'Fleischman', from USDA germplasm repo)
Favorite (AKA Lyubimy)
Afganski (AKA Russian #26)
Salavatski (AKA Russian #8)
Sumbar
Surh-anor
Eversweet
Wonderful

I am interested in cold hardier varieties of edible poms, or especially unique varieties
Last edited by bopcrane on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenfig

Re: pomegranate cuttings available this winter

Post by greenfig »

Thank you for the first post ! :)

Have your Lyubimy and Sumbar fruited? What's your feedback? Do you have any fruit photos?
USDA z 10a, SoCal, near Los Angeles
bopcrane

Post by bopcrane »

None have fruited for me here yet. All of my varieties are from the USDA germplasm repo except for the Lyubimy/Favorite which is from Edible Landscaping
I'm especially hopeful for Favorite, Sumbar, Afganski, and Salavatski working outside in a good exposure here in 6B where I am located. I have an Afganski growing in-ground outside of my house that had died down to its roots last winter (no mulching etc, it was a very small rooted cutting planted that Fall, surprised it made it!) but it has put on a lot of new growth over the last season. I'm thinking it will probably fruit next year.
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

I see. Good luck with them!
I also got a few varieties last year from the USDA, they shipped enough to root and graft but most of mine were soft seeded.
bopcrane

Post by bopcrane »

greenfig wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:21 am I see. Good luck with them!
I also got a few varieties last year from the USDA, they shipped enough to root and graft but most of mine were soft seeded.
That's sort of my focus at the moment in part, to try and find some soft seeded varieties that are still very cold hardy. One of my long term goals is to find fig and pomegranate varieties that will do really well in an unheated high tunnel here in my state

I've read AC Sweet (sold by Burnt Ridge, I think) and Sumbar are very cold hardy soft-seeded poms - I'll probably get one of the AC Sweet next year to try out if I can't find cuttings
JoshHolbrook

Post by JoshHolbrook »

I've got a variety from Uzbekistan, simply called Uzbek, that's more cold hardy than salavatski, supposedly. I'm going to be putting most of the cuttings on figbid to help raise money for some students of mine that are trying to go study in the Amazon, but I'd be willing to trade for Afghanskii, Sumbar and Surh-anor.
bopcrane

Post by bopcrane »

JoshHolbrook wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:57 pm I've got a variety from Uzbekistan, simply called Uzbek, that's more cold hardy than salavatski, supposedly. I'm going to be putting most of the cuttings on figbid to help raise money for some students of mine that are trying to go study in the Amazon, but I'd be willing to trade for Afghanskii, Sumbar and Surh-anor.
Sounds great! I'll try and remember to send you a message here soon when they are dormant and I'll be happy to make that trade
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

bopcrane wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 pm
greenfig wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:21 am I see. Good luck with them!
That's sort of my focus at the moment in part, to try and find some soft seeded varieties that are still very cold hardy. One of my long term goals is to find fig and pomegranate varieties that will do really well in an unheated high tunnel here in my state

I've read AC Sweet (sold by Burnt Ridge, I think) and Sumbar are very cold hardy soft-seeded poms - I'll probably get one of the AC Sweet next year to try out if I can't find cuttings
If any of you are willing to experiment with grafting of early/mid season soft seeded poms on cold hardy Crape Myrtles, that would be a great thing to do.
bopcrane

Post by bopcrane »

greenfig wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:21 pm If any of you are willing to experiment with grafting of early/mid season soft seeded poms on cold hardy Crape Myrtles, that would be a great thing to do.
I would love to do this and test it, but I'm afraid my grafting skills are not up to the job (yet). It's on my to-do list though!
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

bopcrane wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:26 pm
greenfig wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:21 pm If any of you are willing to experiment with grafting of early/mid season soft seeded poms on cold hardy Crape Myrtles, that would be a great thing to do.
I would love to do this and test it, but I'm afraid my grafting skills are not up to the job (yet). It's on my to-do list though!
If you have time and space and patience, we can try to join the forces. I can look for hardy Myrtle online, order a few and graft with my poms, and ship to you by the summer end? It sounds like a lot of shipping needs to be done but I really would like to see if the experiment will have any success at all.
The Myrtles would need to be planted in ground in a semi protected areas I think .