Crown Gall or Weird Callus?

Discussion related to pomegranate growing, cultivation, varieties, heirlooms, etc.
pombazaar
Administrator

Crown Gall or Weird Callus?

Post by pombazaar »

Earlier this summer I noticed a peculiar looking callus forming near one of the branches connecting to the main trunk of my tree. I didn't think too much of it. Today I was reading up on crown gall which is a disease caused by a bacterial infection. It concerns me because the pictures look similar.

My original plan was to air layer this next spring to better support the main trunk. If this is crown gall, the branch needs to go or else it's going to infect the rest of the tree. I was considering cutting off the entire branch but we're now nearing season end and dormancy is a few weeks away. Ideally I want a clean cut that will heal over. If I cut this now it's not going to callus once dormancy hits. Does anyone know what this is? Should I just ride it out for the winter and hack away once spring comes?
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 1194 times
IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 1194 times
pombazaar
Administrator

Re: Crown Gall or Weird Callus?

Post by pombazaar »

@AustinPermie and @bopcrane I wanted to post a spring update on this after stumbling across Austin's post here: https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/blueberry ... is-ailment

I was debating last year whether to prune back this branch in the middle of October or hang on and reassess everything in spring. I went with the latter. Last week I brought trees outside and carved off the bumpy looking callus. I expect my tree to fill in completely this year. I don't believe mine was a case of crown gall, but rather the tree callusing where the bark was broken away. All my cutting do the exact same thing at the top and bottom where they are cut.
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1086 times
bopcrane

Post by bopcrane »

I have something similar going on with one of my poms near the trunk, I think. I'll try to post a pic soon when I can get one. Did it have kind of a spongey texture?
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

I'd love to see photos of it! Mine wasn't spongy at all. When I touched it, it was definitely solid.
bopcrane

Post by bopcrane »

I meant to get pictures of it a few months ago but most of the bark and/or callous in that area has peeled off since then

Maybe some kind of sunburn or freeze damage happened to it, I'm not sure?
2021-07-06 19.05.50-min.jpg
2021-07-06 19.05.50-min.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

Just a short update on this. Last year I decided to completely cut off the affected trunk. The growth was minimal and lacking so I figured why not. This reduced the size of the tree by about 1/3. One year later the tree is producing clusters of flowers like I've never before and the growth has exploded! When in doubt, prune.
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

Update 6/24/2023:

In this photo you can see where I lobbed off the branch. This year the tree is producing like never before.
Attachments
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG (2.22 MiB) Viewed 296 times
IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 296 times