WEO Pomegranate Cultivars

Discussion related to pomegranate growing, cultivation, varieties, heirlooms, etc.
greenfig

Re: WEO Pomegranate Cultivars

Post by greenfig »

pombazaar wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:37 pm @greenfig, I got in touch with the USDA today and was told that WEO does host taste tests and tours of the orchard. In the past this usually happens in October. I will send you the managers contact info so you can schedule a visit. if others here are interested we can even schedule an event on behalf of the community here and go together as a group.
Awesome!! Thanks
USDA z 10a, SoCal, near Los Angeles
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

Update:

UCD has released the remaining 35 unnamed WEO varieties this season. There are 37 unnamed WEO varieties total, all of which have no information associated with them. I'll be collecting data on these to determine their traits and develop future crosses. Hopefully there are some good cold hardy ones in the bunch.
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

Great! Update us in 3 years :)
Do you think they will shipping cuttings this year? They denied my request last winter.
USDA z 10a, SoCal, near Los Angeles
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

Oh I will! I'm very excited about these :)

They have become more strict about what projects are considered research and fall under the mission guidelines. People were requesting things for personal and home garden use and the acceptance criteria is now more strict. So it depends on what sort of research you're conducting. For all orders that are approved, it's very important that the requester submits their research analysis and any data that they collect back to GRIN for each accession.
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

Just a quick update on the WEO cultivars. Myself and a friend both attempted to root as many of these as possible last spring/summer. Nearly all of his died before they could root...I think out of 50 maybe 2 of his survived. I had much better results but noticed that it took an unusually long time for roots to appear. Due to this most of my WEO plants did not have a well established root system by the time they went into dormancy and ended up dying over the winter. I think I may have about 5 survivors in my inventory.

Due to limited space, I will not reattempt the failures until the survivors produce fruit.