Effect of cross pollination on the pomegranate color?

Discussion related to pomegranate research, breeding, and scientific studies.
greenfig

Effect of cross pollination on the pomegranate color?

Post by greenfig »

This is only based on this season observations and not scientifically proven :)

The previous 5 years my Parfianka produced large fruit with dark red kernels. The taste was wine-like and not overly sweet. This year my Desertnyi had the first large harvest, this tree is about 25 ft from Parfianka. So this season (basically now) I was surprised to see the Parfianka fruit on the Desertnyi side to be very light inside and much sweeter than I remember. On the far side, the fruit is much darker and with higher acidity. Is this because of the cross pollination? I took a few seeds from both sides and germinated them. See the photo of 2 ripe fruits from the same Parfianka tree but collected on different sides.

Totally weird! Is this common/normal? It is hard to believe that my Pinot Noir became a dessert wine this season :)
Attachments
ParfiankaLIght.png
ParfiankaLIght.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 1119 times
ParfiankaDarkLight.png
ParfiankaDarkLight.png (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1120 times
USDA z 10a, SoCal, near Los Angeles
alanmercieca

Re: Effect of cross pollination on the pomegranate color?

Post by alanmercieca »

Pomegranates 'to me' seem to vary from fruit to fruit more than a lot of other types of fruiting plants, maybe that is because the fruit takes so long to ripen, the first 3 fruit from our Salavatski were all a lot alike, the next 3 were very different from the first 3 yet a lot like each other, just going from earlier in the season to later in the season makes a large difference. I visited my family in Malta last year, I picked some pomegranates right off bushes in late September, I heard that all the best fruit was ready in Mid October, merely by cropping at a different time 'like a late or early spring' 'any changes in the climate' can change the quality of pomegranates, the taste, the sweetness, even the color of the arils.
greenfig

Re: Effect of cross pollination on the pom color?

Post by greenfig »

alanmercieca wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 am Pomegranates 'to me' seem to vary from fruit to fruit more than a lot of other types of fruiting plants, maybe that is because the fruit takes so long to ripen, the first 3 fruit from our Salavatski were all a lot alike, the next 3 were very different from the first 3 yet a lot like each other, just going from earlier in the season to later in the season makes a large difference. I visited my family in Malta last year, I picked some pomegranates right off bushes in late September, I heard that all the best fruit was ready in Mid October, merely by cropping at a different time 'like a late or early spring' 'any changes in the climate' can change the quality of pomegranates, the taste, the sweetness, even the color of the arils.
Interesting . For me, the side towards Desertnyi is all light kernels, the opposite side is all dark kernels, and in between is the color in between too. Maybe what I see has nothing to do with the Desertnyi tree, I don't know. I was just surprised.
USDA z 10a, SoCal, near Los Angeles
alanmercieca

Re: Effect of cross pollination on the pomegranate color?

Post by alanmercieca »

That seems to happen when the cooler nights kick in, the last 3 pomegranates that I juiced were like that too, it's the only pomegranate plant we have far away from the other pomegranate bushes, so I highly doubt that it's a pollination thing. None of our other pomegranate bushes has any fruit left on it. I think that when the nights get cooler the fruit needs the sun more to have color.