Citrus

Discuss other fruits, nuts, plants, roots, flowers, or herbs that you are growing or researching.
alanmercieca

Re: Citrus

Post by alanmercieca »

pogrmman wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:34 am From what I’ve read about them, those are the two main groups of them, but there is variability within each group. There’s things like willow leafed and myrtle leafed bitter oranges, ones selected for extra high oil content, ones with double flowers, and more.

I used the juice and zest of the one I found in the store to marinate some chicken, and it was fantastic. It’s got a really excellent flavor and I could totally see using it for everything you’d use a lemon for to give a different twist.
There was one variety in Malta in the 1920s that had lemon shaped bitter oranges, I am wondering if they still have it. There was one known for having very curly leaves. I can't remember them all on the top of my head. I had seen some bitter oranges being sold locally, yet I didn't buy them. When buying them at a store it's impossible to know what they are selling, To me they looked in poor condition, yet maybe that was a trait of the variety. I intend to bring seeds of more varieties from Malta. I did not notice any until near the end of my trip.
pogrmman

Post by pogrmman »

I’m pretty stoked — my kumquat is setting some lovely buds, so if I’m lucky, I’ll have my first homegrown citrus this winter! This one is "Fukushu" (aka "Changshou"). (I realize the leaves are a little yellow, but I just hit it with some fertilizer so it’ll green back up.)
3FA4A313-4B9D-4EF8-8EAD-F1DAB0F5C3AC.jpeg
3FA4A313-4B9D-4EF8-8EAD-F1DAB0F5C3AC.jpeg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1218 times
I grow double flowered, unknown fruiting ("Wonderful"?), and "Red Silk"
Eykca

Post by Eykca »

small world, my Nagami Kumquat is also setting blooms right now. Kumquats are such a late discovery in my life. I teach high school and before the shutdown I brought in a bunch that I bought at a local fruit stand for students to try. about 1/4 of the students knew what they were and loved them and 3/4 of the students didn't understand how you could eat the "peels". I love Kumquats, such a unique fruit. The peels are sweet and the inside is sour, the reverse of an orange.
Fresno CA Zone 9B
Pauca Sed Matura