Austin

This forum is for documenting known Punica granatum cultivars and detailed information pertaining to them.
SoCalnOlympia

Austin

Post by SoCalnOlympia »

Cultivar name: Austin
Synonyms: n/a
Origin: Syria. This pomegranate came from Austin (hence the name) by way of a Syrian immigrant who brought this pomegranate from Syria.
Plant ID:
USDA ID: DPUN 223
Fruit Size: Large
Hull color: Red
Aril size: Large
Aril color: Red
Seed hardness: Medium/Hard
Flavor profile: Sweet with a hint of tart.
Hardiness: TBD

Notes:
This variety is less common and originated relatively recently from breeding some select varieties from Syria.

The pomegranate fruits are very large. Excellent flavor. In addition to that, high juice content and very sweet. The seeds are soft, very little grit to spit out. In my opinion, Austin tastes even better than Angel Red and I would say tastes twice as good as the common Wonderful variety. The Austin pomegranates are sweet and very flavorful and juicy.

I would highly recommend this variety.
Last edited by SoCalnOlympia on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Figbeard

Re: Austin

Post by Figbeard »

I'm growing one of these in its second year from a cutting -- looking forward to it!
SoCalnOlympia

Post by SoCalnOlympia »

Austin pomegranate, cut open
Austin pomegranate, cut open
mmexport1603064296561.jpg (134.74 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

This is my most anticipated pomegranate this year. Of all my trees, Austin produced the largest pom this year measuring in around 9 inches in diameter. Mine is probably a lot smaller in comparison to yours but my tree is still young. I've got a few more weeks until I'll be picking mine and cutting it open. Super excited to taste this, especially after reading your notes on it!
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

Looks like a very nice variety, congrats!
If you will be in a sharing mood this Fall/Winter, I would like to try it.
USDA z 10a, SoCal, near Los Angeles
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

I bought a small tree past Spring. It’s now nicely sized in a 3 gal pot, grows fast!
Now I need to find a prime spot for it in the ground .
This will be my first non soft seeded variety, I hope it doesn’t disappoint
tarnado

Post by tarnado »

Hey, SoCalInOlympia - did you get this Austin variety to ripen fruit in Olympia? Or was the fruit from somewhere else?
Fidalgo Island in the Puget Sound, Washington State - zone 8b but tell me please about this thing called "heat."
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

How large of a tree does Austin get?
I see that my Sirenevyi wants to reach the sky while Parfianka and Decertnyi are on a smaller 10ft tall height.
pombazaar
Administrator

Post by pombazaar »

It's hard for me to give absolute answers regarding size since my studies are conducted in a controlled environment and nearly all my trees remain dwarfs. In 2021 my Austin grew to about 4+ feet but the winter hit it and it suffered quite a bit of die back. This of course is only a fraction of what it would be had it been planted in ground. I would assume a minimum of 10ft tall.
greenfig

Post by greenfig »

Great! Thanks!